Home » Van Insurance » Catering Trailer Insurance

Catering Trailer Insurance

Compare Cheap Catering Trailer Insurance Quotes

  • Cover for food trailers, ice cream vans, carts & many more vehicles
  • Multiple quotes from specialist brokers
  • Cover for vehicle, equipment and products
  • Hassle-free – complete just one, quick easy form
  • Compare & see if you can save today!
catering trailer insurance

Excellent: 4.9/ 5   ★★★★★   based on 119 reviews

company logo for bridle insurance
entire cover insurance logo
company logo for cateringinsurance.co.uk
BG insurance logo
company logo for one insurance solution
the insurance factory company logo

What is catering trailer insurance?

Having the right insurance for your catering trailer is vital. Whatever type of catering van you run, dealing with preparing food for the public as well as driving the trailer on the roads can leave you exposed to all kinds of risk. So whether you run a burger van, festival catering trailer or have a regular catering van pitch in a local park, the right insurance policy will protect you and your business.

Why do you need it?

There’s a lot to protect in a food truck. As well as ensuring your trailer or van is roadworthy, you’ll need to maintain stock, quality standards, and ensure good hygiene when preparing food for members of the public.

If someone falls ill as a result of eating your food, the consequences can be serious. Having insurance cover in place is not just a legal requirement, but will give peace of mind that your business will be protected if the worst happens.

What type of catering trailer insurance do I need?

Driving a catering trailer on the road means you must have at least a basic level of road risk insurance in place, in case you are involved in an accident. You can choose from either third party, third party fire and theft or fully comprehensive cover.

Additional types

  • Public liability

This type of cover protects you if a member of the public brings a claim against you or your business – for example, if they hurt themselves at your burger van.

  • Products liability

If a product you sell causes illness or an allergic reaction, this type of cover protects you from claims brought as a result of poor quality or contaminated products.

  • Fixtures and fittings cover

If your catering trailer is your main livelihood, you’ll want to make sure all the equipment in it is covered. If you’re involved in an accident, or your trailer is vandalised or cooking equipment damaged, this type of cover will allow you to get up and running again sooner.

  • Stock insurance

Your stock is a huge investment. This type of cover will pay for replacements if your stock is lost or damaged, for example, if your fridges break down.

  • Legal costs

Defending a claim can be an expensive business. Some policies may include legal cost cover, which will pay for any legal fees associated with a claim.

How to save money on your cover?

Always shop around and compare quotes from different insurance providers. Make sure that you only pay for the cover you need too, so check with your insurer what is included. For instance, if you are a sole trader, you won’t need employer’s liability cover so might be able to reduce your premium costs that way.


What level of liability cover do I need?

Most catering trailer insurance will offer public or product liability cover for up to £10million

Is business interruption insurance necessary?

It’s not a legal requirement, but can give you peace of mind and protect your earnings if you’re not able to operate for reasons like illness or injury.

I only serve cold food; do I still need product liability cover?

As there are so many types of mobile catering business, it’s best to talk to your insurer to find the policy that best suits your circumstances. Make sure you only pay for the cover you need.

Copyright © 2018-2022 QuoteRadar.co.uk
Quoteradar.co.uk is a trading style of Zorley Limited, Registration No: 12867725 who are a Limited company registered in England, Registered office: Zorley Ltd, Kemp House, 152 - 160 City Road, London EC1V 2NX.