Home » Van Insurance » Catering Van Insurance

Catering Van Insurance

Compare Cheap Catering Van Insurance Quotes

  • Quotes from UK insurance providers
  • One short form – save time & money
  • Compare & see if you can save today!

Catering Van

Excellent: 4.9/ 5   ★★★★★   based on 949 reviews

Why do you need catering van insurance?

Running a mobile catering business can be high risk. If you operate a food truck, burger van, or even just an ice cream van, things can go wrong. Any damage to the catering van may mean the loss of trading time and profits.

By selling food to the public, there is an additional duty of care. Mobile food vans must adhere to strict food hygiene regulations. Having a specialist catering van insurance policy in place can mean peace of mind in the event of an incident or claim from a customer.

Catering vans also need to be insured against loss or damage to food stock held in the vehicle. As well as all this, catering vans also drive on the highway. Just like a regular car or van, they must be properly insured.

Who needs it?

If you serve hot or cold food from a catering van, you need insurance. If your business is any of the following, you should consider a specialist catering insurance policy:

  • Hot dog stall
  • Burger/sandwich van
  • Ice cream van
  • Street food truck
  • Jiffy truck
  • Hog roast/BBQ van
  • Coffee trailer
  • Fish and Chip van
  • Kebab van
  • Mobile event catering van


Your catering van must have the right insurance coverage to drive to your destination. There are three main types of policy:

  • Third-party only – Legally, this is the minimum cover you must have in place. You are covered for claims against you by a third party
  • Third-party, fire and theft – In the event of damage by fire or theft, your catering van is covered. In addition, you are protected against third-party claims.
  • Comprehensive – This is the highest level of coverage. Your policy will insure you for all of the above, plus your own costs.

Catering-specific policies also include cover for the types of situations you might find yourself in if you run a mobile catering business. You might also need to consider:

  • Stock insurance – If equipment like fridges or freezers fails, the cost of replacing stock could be very expensive. Having insurance in place reduces the risk of having to pay out to replace stock.
  • Personal accident – Catering can be risky. If you are injured at work, for example, burns or cuts when preparing food, your policy may pay compensation.
  • Business interruption – If you are a sole trader and your catering van is your only source of income, you can protect yourself in the event you are injured or unable to work.
  • Public liability – This covers legal and any compensation costs if a member of the public makes a claim against you. For example, if someone falls ill after eating from your stall.
  • Employers liability – This policy protects you against claims brought by current or ex-employees. It will cover medical costs if an employee is injured at work, legal fees and compensation.

How can I get cheap catering van insurance?

Taking action to reduce the risks involved in your catering business may help lower premium costs.

  • Ensure all staff complete up-to-date health and safety training
  • Observe good food hygiene practices at all times, to reduce the risk of causing illness or food poisoning
  • Ensure the catering van is serviced and maintained regularly to reduce the risk of breakdown
  • When the catering van is not in use, park or store it in a secure location
  • Consider fitting immobilisers, CCTV or alarms to reduce the risk of vehicle theft.

Related insurance

Zorley Limited trading as Quoteradar.co.uk are an (IAR) Introducer Appointed Representative of QuoteSearcher Limited who are authorised and regulated by The Financial Conduct Authority, their Registration Number is 504796 and their permitted business is insurance mediation. This can be checked by visiting the Financial Conduct Authority website. Upon form submission, your details will be passed to a panel of insurance brokers regulated by The Financial Conduct Authority for the purpose of providing you with insurance quotations.