Fish and Chip Van Insurance
Compare Fish and Chip Van Insurance Quotes
- Cover for fish and chip vans, trailers, carts & many more vehicles
- Public liability insurance available from all partners
- Multiple quotes from specialist brokers
- Hassle-free – complete just one, quick easy form
- Compare & see if you can save today!
Excellent: 4.9/ 5 ★★★★★ based on 119 reviews
What is fish and chip van insurance?
There are few things better than piping hot fish and chips and the fish and chip van is a great way to take this British staple on the road. Mobile fish and chip vans must have the right insurance in place, to protect the business owner and members of the public. Here’s what you need to know about fish and chip van insurance.
Why do I need it?
Cooking fish and chips involves a lot of hot oil, which in a traditional chip shop stays in one place. However, for mobile fish and chip catering, driving this hot oil around can pose significant risks. All frying equipment on board needs to be secured, even when you’re not driving.
A specialist insurance policy will take all these unique considerations into account.
Who needs it?
Mobile fish and chips is such a versatile business and the British absolutely love it. If you run a mobile chippy for any of the following, you should consider getting fish and chip insurance:
- Festival chip shop
- Wedding fish and chip van
- Seaside fish and chip pitch
- Special event chippy
- Mobile village fish and chips
What cover do I need for my fish and chip van?
You must make sure that your chip van is fully insured to drive on the roads legally. This means either third party, third party fire and theft or comprehensive insurance.
Beyond that, there is a range of insurance options which could protect your business.
Fixtures and fittings cover will cover the cost of repairing any damage to your chip van equipment. This type of cover will not normally cover normal wear and tear, but if your fryer is damaged as a result of an accident the policy will cover the cost of repair or replacement.
Legal costs – if a claim is brought against you, covering your legal costs can get expensive very quickly! This type of policy protects you and pays legal bills.
Employers’ liability – If you employ any staff, you must by law have employers’ liability cover. This cover costs if a staff member raises a claim against you, for example, if they are hurt on the premises, or raise a grievance.
Is fish and chip van insurance expensive?
Because of the risks involved with catering, and the nature of cooking fish and chips, insurers have in the past been reluctant to offer cover to mobile fish and chip businesses. However, with a little shopping around, you can compare quotes from specialist providers, to make sure you get the best available rate.
How to save money on fish and chip van insurance?
- Don’t take the first quote you get. Make sure you have a range of quotes to compare.
- Only pay for the cover you need.
- Store your van securely when not in use, to reduce the risk of theft.
- Consider fitting a black box.
- Make sure all staff have any relevant health and safety training, and that all equipment is regularly maintained.
- Increase the excess on the policy