Home » Driving School Insurance

Driving School Insurance

Compare Cheap Driving School Insurance Quotes

  • Dual-controlled vehicles, private instructors, and tuition schools all covered
  • PDI or ADI instructor specialist
  • Compare quotes, save time and money

driving school

Excellent: 4.9/ 5   ★★★★★   based on 949 reviews

What is driving instructor insurance?

We’re sure it won’t surprise you to learn that driving school insurance is far more expensive than standard car insurance.

One of the main reasons why, of course, is that you are allowing your vehicle to be driven by ‘non-drivers’ – or at least individuals who are training and haven’t yet officially passed their driving test. What this means is that you are more liable to be involved in an accident.

Even though the accident wasn’t what you were doing, insurance is still crucial since you were the instructor and it was your vehicle that was being driven when the accident occurred.

A driving instructor also needs a lot more insurance cover ‘extras.’  This could include the likes of ‘any driver’ and ‘modified vehicle cover. Because the driving school is the way they make a living (i.e. their business), as well to consider items such as personal injury insurance to cover absence at work due to a driving-related incident, or even employer’s liability insurance if they take on staff.

Under DVLA guidance there are three different levels of driving instructors. These are Potential Driving Instructor (PDI), Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) and Pass Plus Instructor (PPI). A PDI is in training so, understandably, their insurance tends to be the most expensive.

The ADI is qualified and after several years of experience under their belt can aim to become a PPI. The more qualified you are, the less expensive your insurance will be – mainly because you are considered ‘less of a risk.’

Different types of cover

Any Driver Cover – You couldn’t be a driving school instructor without this. It means anyone – provided they are driving pupils or examiners – can drive your car.

Replacement Dual Control Vehicle Cover – Another necessity. That’s because if your car is your business livelihood. If it was in an accident, then you’d need to have it replaced to continue earning money as a driving instructor. Certainly, you might have tests and pupils booked for the following day. That’s why specialist driving school insurance providers will guarantee to replace a dual-control car within 24 hours.driving school car

Modified Vehicle Cover – As well as dual controls, your car will have more mirrors than a standard car and an additional speedometer. There will no doubt be advertising and ‘Learner’ signs on it and you’ll probably have it adapted to suit disabled drivers.

Negligent Tuition Cover – This means you are covered in the event of a claim made against your being negligent and causing injury to a pupil who was injured during a lesson in your car.

Comprehensive Driving Other Cars – some students prefer to learn to drive in their car and if you’re obliged to drive a client’s car this type of cover is essential. It only applies when you are giving a lesson to your clients.

Employer’s Liability Insurance – Even if just on a part-time basis, if you employ other instructors to help with your business then you must take out Employer’s Liability Insurance. Otherwise, you could face a hefty court fine.

Hire & Reward – Because this is a business i.e. you’re taking money for instructions, hire and reward insurance is a must-have.

Driving Off-Road Driver Aged 14+ – If you instruct drivers off-road then you’ll want this.

Personal injury insurance – You, more than most people are at risk of being in a car accident (while teaching a learner driver). In the event, that an injury puts you out of action for a few months and you can’t work, this will cover your mortgage and other living costs.

Tips on getting cheap driving school insurance

  • Always compare quotes, since they can differ quite markedly between insurance companies.
  • Choose a car from a low insurance grouping rather than a top-of-the-range, powerful, model which is going to cost more to insure.
  • Keep your car locked up in a garage overnight if possible.
  • Try and keep a clean No Claims Discount for a reduction to guarantee a reduction on your insurance premiums (this could be as much as a whopping 65 per cent).
  • Think about taking out breakdown cover at the same time as insurance to get a reduction on the former.
  • Agreeing on a higher excess should keep your insurance premiums lower – which is great, provided you can afford it should the worst happen…

Frequently Asked Questions

Is it possible to get cover when I have a spent driving conviction?

Yes, as long as it’s spent there shouldn’t be any problem.

I run my driving school from premises outside my home. Do I need to insure those?

Provided you don’t own those premises you should be fine. The building should already be insured by the landlord. If not though, it should be possible to add it to any form of business insurance you have.

What if I’ve had to claim insurance on my own private car in the past few years?

Then you should definitely let your insurance provider know – especially if it’s been within the past five years.

Can I get fleet insurance, considering I use more than one vehicle for driving instruction?

You could ask the insurance company for driving school fleet insurance or a reduction for insuring more than one vehicle at a time.

Do I have to be a full-time instructor to qualify for specialist driving instructor insurance?

Not at all. You can be part-time or occasional. The point is, when you’re out in your own car with a pupil then you’ll need it.

I have a lengthy no claims bonus on my standard driving insurance. Can I transfer this to my instructor’s insurance?

You may not necessarily be able to transfer it, but it will show that you’re a good driver and have been for a number of years.

Related insurance

Zorley Limited trading as Quoteradar.co.uk are an (IAR) Introducer Appointed Representative of QuoteSearcher Limited who are authorised and regulated by The Financial Conduct Authority, their Registration Number is 504796 and their permitted business is insurance mediation. This can be checked by visiting the Financial Conduct Authority website. Upon form submission, your details will be passed to a panel of insurance brokers regulated by The Financial Conduct Authority for the purpose of providing you with insurance quotations.