Compare Cheap Horsebox Insurance Quotes
In association with
Excellent: 4.9/ 5 ★★★★★ based on 119 reviews
More options to find cheap horsebox insurance
Why do you need horsebox insurance?
Anyone who has a horsebox or horse trailer may require additional insurance cover to ensure it’s legally covered on the road. This can be a motorised vehicle or a non-motorised vehicle that is towed by your car, and insurance requirements can vary between types. For instance, trailers are often covered by general car insurance policies, but you may have to specifically request it.
If you’re using the horsebox or trailer as part of a business, you’ll need to declare this to your insurer and this will impact your premiums. Professional riders and breeders will need to remember this and purchase the appropriate level of commercial insurance for their vehicle. Equally, anyone buying a trailer intending to hire it out for fee or reward will require an appropriate hire and reward insurance policy to accommodate the increased risk.
How to choose the right horsebox insurance cover?
Horsebox and trailer insurance is impacted by the same elements as general vehicle insurance – value, size, age, mileage and the level of cover required. The contents (including the horse) are not usually included in your insurance cover, so make sure you factor this in when you consider your horsebox insurance options. As well as this, you should consider whether you need additional breakdown cover for your horsebox as the prospect of being stranded with your horse is an unwelcome one.
A motorised horsebox being taken on the road will require appropriate insurance by law. It will need to be covered even if you’re not driving it (unless you specifically register it as being off the road and therefore you’re unable to legally take it on to the roads).
There are three types of insurance for motorised horseboxes:
- Third Party Only – This is the minimum level of insurance cover you can have by law in the UK. It covers any damage caused by you to other people and their vehicles, along with liability while towing a trailer.
- Third Party Fire and Theft – It covers the elements mentioned above, plus fire and theft damage to your vehicle.
- Comprehensive – This is the highest level of cover available and includes all the elements mentioned above, plus insurance for windscreens, loss or damage, accidental damage, medical expenses and personal effects. Remember, in the case of a horsebox or trailer, you’ll need to ensure that your animal is covered under its own policy.
For a horse trailer being towed by a car, you will probably be covered by general car insurance, but that likely doesn’t include the value of the trailer itself. With horse trailers, this can be quite a substantial sum, and so take this factor into account when you’re looking at quotes.
How to go about getting horsebox insurance quotes
To get the best insurance quotes for your motorised horsebox, be sure to be as specific as possible about your requirements. Look at the additional options and seriously consider whether you need Comprehensive cover. Horseboxes and trailers are particularly vulnerable to theft as they are high-value items, so
Top money saving tips for horsebox insurance
In your search for horsebox insurance that’s both good value and effective, remember to consider the following:
- Operating within a small radius (for example, from the stables to a location nearby) should lower the premiums as it lowers the risk to the vehicle.
- Increasing the Excess on your policy will lead to reduced premiums as it demonstrates responsibility on your part. Remember, however, that you’ll be required to pay more in the event of an incident.
- If you can provide safe overnight parking for your horsebox in a secure location, your premiums will be lowered.
- Occasional transportation could be open to “pay as you go” insurance.
- Restricting the number of drivers named on the policy (and ensuring they’re over 25 and have a driving licence that’s completely clean) could lower your premiums.
- Take advantage of any technology that increases the safety of your
vehicle, such as anti-theft devices and GPS tracking.