Ice Cream Van Insurance
Compare Cheap Ice Cream Van Insurance Quotes
Excellent: 4.9/ 5 ★★★★★ based on 119 reviews
Why you need ice cream van insurance?
There’s nothing better than a refreshing ice cream on a warm day. The jingle from an ice cream van means that refreshments are just around the corner. Some ice cream vans do operate all year round, but many are seasonal businesses. If your ice cream van only runs during summer months, it’s essential to check your insurance policy and make sure you have up to date cover.
Providing any kind of food or drink to the public comes with risks. Your van will also need to travel on public highways to reach your selling pitch. It’s also likely to contain expensive refrigeration equipment.
Who needs ice cream van insurance?
If your business is any of the following, you should consider a specialist ice cream van or catering insurance policy:
- Ice cream van
- Mobile ice cream cart
- Concession stall
- Catering trailer
The beauty of an ice cream van is that you can sell in multiple sites. From busy tourist spots to city centres, country parks to residential streets: there’s always a market for a cold ice cream! Your ice cream van needs to be covered to drive on the roads, wherever your final pitch is.
- Third party insurance – This is the minimum cover required by law. You are covered for claims against you by a third party. For example, if you are involved in an accident on the way to your pitch, this will cover repairs to a third-party vehicle.
- Third party, fire and theft – If your ice cream van is damaged by fire or theft, this insurance will mean you are covered. In addition, you are protected against third party claims.
- Comprehensive insurance – This policy will not only cover all the above but also your own costs. For many businesses, this is the best type of cover to ensure all bases are covered.
Running an ice cream van or other refrigerated catering business comes with its own specific risks.
Consider adding the following to your policy:
Stock insurance – For most ice cream vans, nearly all stock is frozen, or refrigerated. If fridges or freezers break down, the cost of replacing stock can be very expensive. Stock insurance will cover the cost of replacing any lost of damaged stock.
Public liability – Any catering business must be protected in the event that a member of the public makes a claim against you. E.g. if someone becomes ill as a result of visiting your van or stall. Accidents do sometimes happen too. Public liability insurance covers any legal or compensation costs associated with claims by third parties.
Employers liability – Many ice cream van owners may employ temporary staff to cover busy periods. Employers liability cover protects you if an employee is hurt or injured at work, and brings a claim against you.
Personal accident – If you are injured while working in your ice cream van, your policy may pay compensation. This applies whether the accident is driving related, or due to maintaining equipment like fridges or freezers or preparing food.
Business interruption – For sole traders, operating an ice cream van may be your only source of income. If you are injured, or unable to work for a period of time, business interruption insurance may cover your running costs for a period of time.
How to save money on your ice cream van insurance?
As with any vehicle insurance policy, saving money on ice cream van insurance involves reducing the general level of risk.
- Have your ice cream van serviced regularly to reduce the risk of breakdown.
- Make sure all drivers are fully qualified. Premiums can be higher for younger drivers.
- Ensure all employees are aware of basic health and safety and food hygiene laws
- Out of season, or when the ice cream van is not in use, make sure it is parked in a secure location.
- Use immobilisers or alarms to reduce the risk of theft.